Bringing first- and last-mile digitization to agri-food
Cloud-based FoodCrafters brings first- and last-mile digitization to the farming and food manufacturing industries, helping to ensure transparency and traceability from crop to supermarket shelf.
This modular, easy-to-configure, and affordable solution allows farms workers to capture data related to their harvest right in the field.
And, because it runs in parallel to existing ERP and IT systems, the solution doesn’t require complex implementation.
With FoodCrafters, you can start small, and adapt to new market requirements if and when needed.
Food Crafters use cases
Promoting the social value of fair-trade products
A fair-trade cacao product retailer came to us looking for a way to show consumers where the premium price they pay for the products actually goes.
We implemented the Consumer Engagement module, which is used to scan a QR code and the “best before” date on the package, providing the consumer with detailed information on the journey of each ingredient, including pictures and stories about the farmers that produced them and the social initiatives being funded.
- For the consumer there is nothing to install. There is no impact on the packaging process, other than the addition of a QR code.
- Farmers update their stories and information on social initiatives in real time via the Field App module, and our customer manages everything remotely via the Producer Dashboard.
- The solution is easy to scale, as the layout can be adapted to different brand and retailer marketing preferences.
Increasing farming efficiency through data
A large producer of coffee and macadamia nuts was looking for a real-time harvesting and processing monitoring solution to improve efficiency.
We worked closely with the customer to map out all stakeholders and operations from picking and transporting to roasting. We customized several versions of the Field App module to fit specific tasks and worker types (pickers can be hired on spot and harvesting monitored in the field by the group leader, for example). Using the information we gathered, we automated the Dashboard module to calculate and display the KPIs in real time.
- Short-term benefits: increased production efficiency and continuous improvement.
- Long-term benefits: data history will enable traceability and provide proof-of-origin and QA for marketing purposes.
Increasing consumer trust through counterfeit prevention
A wine cooperative came to us for a way to reduce the risk of counterfeit products on foreign markets and online sales to improve their brand’s credibility and increase consumer trust.
Our solution allows consumers to verify product authenticity when purchasing online and upon delivery of the physical product via a unique serial number given to each bottle.
- A digital twin (an immutable token on the blockchain) linked to each bottle by means of a serialized QR-code printed on a secure holographic label (created by our partner).
- Customized Consumer Engagement module displays origin information either in response to a QR-code scan or a click on an e-commerce site.
Making public services more transparent
A government agency in an EU Member State wanted to improve transparency and efficiency by equipping its field agents with digital technology.
We customized the Field App module to replicate the standard operating forms used in the field and added a secure login for agents, automated timestamping and geolocation, and the ability to collect media like pictures, video, and audio.
- Entries (parking tickets, road work requests, etc.) are immediately available to the central office and digitally certified.
- A customizable permission system allows access depending on the officer role.
- The original information cannot be erased or modified but new data can be easily appended so that errors can be corrected without compromising on traceability.
Reducing data liability through allocation of responsibility
A testing equipment manufacturer approached turned to us for help with a data liability issue. The equipment is sold to independent laboratories, but to deliver a meaningful result the spectra produced by the machine need to be interpreted against the manufacturer’s database.
This necessary exchange of sensitive information places our client in a position of liability for errors and fraudulent use of the data.
- A certification system validates the data without the need for third-party validation.
- At any point during data creation, interpretation, and transmission of results, data integrity can be verified and responsibility for any discrepancies allocated.
- The solution combines cryptography and blockchain immutability, runs in the background and provides complete data privacy while remaining completely auditable.
Digital asset tokenization
Still under definition with the client
Consumer Engagement Module
Share information with consumers through a simple, intuitive, totally-customizable smartphone-optimized web app. There’s no installation or log-in for the user. A simple QR code or click on a link provides access to all product information. Engage consumers by providing a full history of the product, from origin to manufacturing, transportation, and certifications.
Field App Module
Give field agents a powerful tool to collect and share data in real time from anywhere. Once they log on, agents can fill out digital forms and collect data, pictures, audio, and video. Each entry is timestamped complete with GPS coordinates. The module works even with no internet connection. Offline the entries are encrypted locally via an asymmetric signature and uploaded when the connection is restored.
Display information generated by the Field App module and manage resources.